10 Most Interesting Facts About Maharajas Express
Winner of several accolades and awards, Maharajas’ Express is one of the most extravagant luxury trains of India. The train runs five pan-Indian voyages traversing through some of the most amazing destinations, vistas and attractions of India, that are some important pieces of the country’s history as well as heritage. The travelers onboard this Indian luxury train get an insight into the past lavishness of the times of Indian royalty. The train is well-fitted with all the modern world-class comforts.
Supervised by the Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC), the Maharajas’ Express train started in the month of March in 2010. The 5 wonderful journeys of Maharajas Express include sightseeing, shopping, special meals at royal residencies, and cultural performances etc. While Heritage of India, Indian Panorama and Indian Splendor are of 7 nights and 8 days, Treasures of India and Gems of India expand in a duration of 3 nights and 4 days, all offering memorable experiences. Out of these, at least four train tours offer a visit to Delhi, Jaipur and, Agra- the very popular golden-triangle tour of India.
With an intention to recreate the standard and splendor of the personal carriages of the erstwhile rulers of the country, the present makers of this luxury train of India have clubbed luxury, comforts and royal décor in the guest cabins of Maharajas’ Express. Refinement of the olden times and contemporary luxuries seamlessly offer 5-star living on-board a train.
The dining at Maharajas’ Express is pure luxurious feasting like kings and queen, which has been arranged in two dining coaches. The restaurants of the train are Mayur Mahal (Peacock Palace) and Rang Mahal (Color Palace). The plate is fine Limoges with gold edges, the cutlery has the alphabet M as its monogram and the glasses are Swarovski with exclusive hand-cut precious stone. The variety of food, beverages and cuisines is endless.
This India’s luxury train has been voted World’s ‘Leading Luxury Train’ at the World Travel Awards, four times- successively in the years 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015. It has also won several other honors and rewards since its commencement.
If all the above-mentioned points still do not lure you to go on-board the Maharajas’ Express at once, here are 10 more interesting facts about this train:
1. The Maharaja Express has not only been the four-time winner of ‘The World’s Leading Luxury Train’ at The World Travel Awards, four times in a row- but it also has several other honors. The recent award won by the train is at the Seven Stars 2015 under the category ‘Luxury Hospitality and Life style Awards’. The train was also the 1st runner up in the Specialist Train Operators Category at Conde Nast Traveler Readers’ Travel Award 2011 and was also the ‘Best Luxury Train’ at CNBC Awaaz Travel Award 2010.
2. It is the most luxurious train in Asia and the costliest train on the earth.
3. Maharajas’ Express also finds its name as one of the World’s Top 25 Trains by The Society of International Railway Travelers.
4. The train commences its journey on every Wednesday for 7 nights and 8 days.
5. This luxury train in India manages running on 5 wonderful circuits, covering over 12 famous destinations of India.
6. It has 23 huge carriages, integrating accommodation, bar, dining, bar, parlor, generator and store autos.
7. The train is a kilometer long with fourteen mentors, which combines lodges and suites.
8. The five journeys of this train are a heady mix of memorable and exciting experiences including erotic Khajuraho temples, a visit to the World Wonder of Taj Mahal in Agra, exploring the World heritage Sites of Ajanta and Ellora, Fatehpur Sikir etc., wildlife spotting at the Ranthambore, early morning boat riding in Varanasi, Elephant Polo Match in Jaipur and more.
9. One more striking feature of this train is that the trip begins and ends either in Delhi or in Mumbai. As both of these are metropolitans, they have good connectivity through all the modes of transportation, from worldwide.
10.Staying on-board Maharajas’ Express, one of India’s luxury train is truly a memorable experience where the guests enjoy all the facilities and amenities of a 5-star hotel. Some of such luxuries are LCD TV with satellite connection, choice of double and twin beds, attached bathroom with complimentary toiletries, centralized AC, Wi-Fi, butlers, electronic safe, Direct dial telephone with international calling, etc.